What if you get a double doze of chocolate in a chocolate cake. I am sure you will crave for more…. Presenting a chocolate cake with chocolate layering and dark chocolate coating on top…
Ingredients for the cake:
1 1/2 cup (one and a half cup) refined flour (maida)
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda (Soda bi-carbonate)
60 g butter
1 cup Powdered Sugar
60g Cooking Chocolate
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
3/4 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Water
Ingredients for Chocolate Layering:
1 cup chopped dark chocolate
2 tbsp Butter
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Fresh Cream
3 tbsp Coffee Decoction
Ingredients for chocolate Coating:
200 g Dark Chocolate
1 big packet of Cadbury Gems
1 scoop Whipping Cream
1-2 tbsp Icing Sugar
Edible Silver Sugar Balls
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/350 degree Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 inch round cake tin.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda together in a bowl.
3. Cream the butter and sugar in another bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition.
4. Melt the chocolate. Cool slightly. Stir it into the egg mixture.
5. Fold in the flour mixture, milk, lemon juice and vanilla essence. Mixing gently till well blended.
6. Pour the mixture into the greased tin and bake in the preheated oven till done or the toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven, place the tin on wire rack and allow the cake to cool completely in the tin.
7. To make the sugar syrup, heat 3/4 cup water in a deep non stick pan. Add the sugar and stir till it dissolves completely. Remove from heat and set aside.
8. To make the chocolate layering, melt the dark chocolate , butter and brown sugar together in a non stick pan. Mix well till the chocolate melts.
9. Add the cream and coffee decoction and mix well. Remove from heat allow it to cool.
10. Now cut the cake into two layer horizontally. Drizzle the sugar syrup on both the layer. Spread evenly the chocolate layering on both layers.
11. Place the layers on top of each other and place the cake in the refrigerator for an hour.
12. For the coating melt the chocolate and coat evenly on the cake including the sides. If needed melt some more chocolate and coat further till evenly spread and coated. Now beat the whipping cream and icing sugar together with an electric beater till hard peaks form.
13. Attach star nozzle to the piping bag. Put the whipping cream and sugar mixture in the piping bag. Make florets on the sides or however you want and sprinkle some edible silver sugar balls on them. I also put cadbury gems as this cake was made for the 40th wedding anniversary. So you can use anything to decorate the cake as per occassion.