Spinach is a green leafy vegetable from Amaranthaceae family. It is native to central and westernAsia.
China is the largest producer of spinach which represents 85% of global supply. USA being the second largest producer of this herb. in Hindi, it is called palak, palakura in telugu, cira in malayalam and saka in bengali. There are 3 main varieties of spinach namely:
It has dark green, crinkly and curly leaves.
Flat or Smooth Leaf
This variety has broad smooth leaves. These are easier to clean than savoy.
They are hybrid variety Slightly crinkly, texture like savoy, yet not difficult to clean.
Spinach is the powerhouse of nutrients and low in calories. Here how it is beneficial to our health:
- This herb has glycoglycerolipids which tumor blood supply blockers. Hence it helps in prevention of cancer.
- It is rich in lutein and also contains zeaxanthin which prevents risk of cataract.
- Spinach has an antioxidant known as alpha lipoic acid which lowers glucose and increases insulin sensitivity.
- It has high content of Vitamin K, which lowers the risk of bone fracture.
- Since it is high in fiber and water, it is good for healthy digestive tract.
- Spinach has large quantities of Vitamin A, which helps to moisturize the skin and hair.
- It is also rich in iron, which prevents hair loss and improves eye sight.
How to store spinach
Remove the stalks from the leaves. Wash them properly and dry the leaves on a towel. Once dried, store them in an air tight container and refrigerate. The leaves of spinach will be remain fresh for a week.
You can use it invariety of recipes. Here is the recipe of Green Herb Salad.